Friday, April 19, 2013

Avoid a void


"Hey, let's go man. I have to catch 7.12 a.m. local..!!" How many times, have we heard dialogues like these! Life today, has really become fast paced. One has to think about whole lot of things to do "tomorrow" before going to sleep "today". Some lucky ones, even look forward to the next day and the various tasks to be carried out. What if those lucky ones, do not have those tasks ahead any more?
Well, something of that sort has happened with me recently. There were at least 3 things associated with me, that I knew were going to be a crucial part of my day, every "tomorrow". And they were no mere things-to-do, they were the things I wanted to do, things I loved to do. And now, I can't do those. I will certainly talk about two of those things. Third, well, may be some other time.
We all talk about social media - How social media is good/bad, how it has affected us etc. Among all these things, one definitely good thing happened for me. I got in touch with a bunch of genius, crazy, creative and well, kick-ass people. For months, as a friend of mine says, I knew them just by their profile pics. Well, not really. Through the interactions I have had with them - meaningful as well as "Bakar" - I have known them at least to an extent. And it was really a wonderful experience. The group was supposedly formed for preparations of some exam, and the group did cater to that need, more than what I could ask for. It certainly added to my knowledge, my perspectives. There was this extended period of time when I looked forward to getting online in the night, and getting on with whatever we as a group did. And now, the exam and everything related to it has reached its finality. This is the first thing.
Around three months back, I stumbled upon an opportunity as a volunteer to go to a school, and contribute in the learning of few 4th standard kids, thanks to "Teach For India". And I grabbed it with both hands. I admit, I was a bit scared, as to how a bunch of small kids will take to me. But it was just a matter of starting. It was one hell of a ride, with these adorable kids. Naughty, definitely, but adorable and smart. The Teach For India Fellow to whom I was supposed to assist was a really nice person, from whom I learned a lot. And the time spent with the kids - teaching them, at times talking to them about completely non-academic but important issues, playing with them, trying to answer their innocent-but-difficult-to-answer questions - has meant a lot to me. And the love shown by them leaves me tongue-tied at times. The spontaneous "thank you" messages from them made me work harder for them. And now the school is over, with the kids having summer vacations. Next semester, I doubt if I can continue with this, as the much awaited MBA journey starts this June.
Such things had kept me going, each and every day, for past few months. And now suddenly I have to make do with the fact that they have taken a pause, let's say. A big pause. But hey, haven't I always believed to take the positives out with me? And that is something I intend to do, even now. I still have frequent interactions with the friends I have made while preparing for the said exam. Of course, the original intention behind starting with it is done with. But these people are still themselves. And some of you do know what making friends means to me. Slowly, gradually, there will seem a decline. But then that is something natural. What will remain important is that these people will still be friends with me. With the kids, it was certainly a wonderful learning experience for me, and I hope it was same for them too. I imagine that after few years, some of them will suddenly cross paths with me, and they have made good with their lives and still remember their Omkar Bhaiyya. Imaginations apart, the kids have showered me with affection, and I take it away with me.
But still the question remains. I do not have these things to look forward to, "tomorrow". No problems. There are so many things, that I have been wanting to do, but haven't been able to do yet. Reading few books, travelling to a few places, getting back to some old and wonderful friends, spending a little quality family time, getting hold of few entertainment series and movies, resume with the "Drums" lessons (when do I actually play successfully???)... And of course, some lazying around and eating and eating. Let's see, how many of those do I tick-mark before this summer ends...!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, good things! I think I guessed the third thing. Waiting for 'that' blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be damn interesting to know if your guess is right..!!

      Delete