Friday, December 21, 2012

The Elixir of Celebrations

Remember the advertisement that used to hog television channels' space up until recently, especially during a cricket match? "Boost is the secret of my energy..." "Our energy.." The kid and the great one. I have gained a few years, and now around me this is what I hear more often than not. "Booze is the secret of my energy.." "Our energy..!!"
"The" drink. Supposedly : The liquid that erases bad memory, the beverage that takes you to new highs, the glass that gives you courage, the drink that gives and shares the joy. It is the season of festivities and joy. Hence I refer to it as the Elixir of Celebrations.
Such are the times, that celebration and booze have become equivalent. "Let's celebrate" always precludes "Let's get a drink or two, and enjoy." Such is the influence - both after taking it and before taking it(the fantasy does the work) - that the temptation is almost impossible to overcome. Well, at least for a few.
Historical records of alcoholic beverages being consumed date as back as 10,000 B.C. in the form of stone age beer jugs. 'Sura' is supposed to be the favourite drink of the king of Hindu gods, 'Indra'. 'Osiris', the only god that was worshipped all across Egypt, was thought to be the inventor of beer, and hence it was the understanding that he instructs the people of Egypt to drink, of course in moderation. Such details are found all around the world. Vessels to ferment and store beer have been found in numerous excavations across the globe, which point towards various time periods - from B.C. to A.D. Generally, in moderation, it was thought of as a medicine, and it still is today.
Today, booze has become quite a regular part of our day to day lives. Hey, I don't mean to say that all of us drink regularly. Think of it this way. I watch a booze addled "Charlie Harper" on laptop. I watch our to-be-idolized-I-don't-think-so heroes getting into their dashing characters with a bottle of beer or a glass of whisky in their hands. The liquor barrons are fighting to save their other businesses, of course at the expense of others and not their own money. From high-class Chardonnay to our item-number-country drinks we are surrounded with alcohol, no matter whether you drink or not.
In more personal life, today a large number of times I see our dinner tables decorated with a drink or two when I go out. I agree that it is a very good supplement to the celebrations. It symbolizes the carefree attitude of the youth, it symbolizes "yes, we can!" (Apologies Mr. Obama) The Christmas nears, and I remember the number of times I have demanded home-made wine from certain friends of mine. I have a simple stand for it, "Drink to celebrate, drink to the happiness. But never give in to your sorrows and have illusions that it will solve your problems for you." Hence I call it the Elixir of Celebrations, not a "Magic Drink." So far so good, eh?
There is however one issue I have with the concept, or shall I say a wrong concept. Is booze supplementary to the celebrations, or is it a necessity? Over past few years, there have been numerous experiences that gave me hint that it is in fact the latter in certain cases. While making plans for a night-out, I hear "Hey man, without booze what's the point of night-out? I would rather sleep at my home." This, and many such incidents. This is where I draw the line, and I never ever would want to give booze more priority than it deserves.
Be that as it may, these are the times to celebrate. In under a year's time, I will legally be eligible to buy alcoholic beverages. I think, maybe that's why Parle Frooti had this tagline, "Why grow up?" They perhaps knew, that as one grows up the choice of beverages start to deviate from Frooti. Maybe, maybe not. Enjoy the celebrations...!!!
                                    "Ooo booze, you let me loose,
                                      over the mild wind, you let me cruise,
                                      Whisky, vodka, wine, or beers,
                                      friends, family, celebrations, cheers..!!"
P.S. No judgements entertained, based on any part of the post..!! :D

3 comments:

  1. Now this is something new!
    Great Read. You need to have great company to have a great time and nothing else.
    "This is where I draw the line, and I never ever would want to give booze more priority than it deserves."- Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanmay : Thank you.
    Pratiksha : Amen. And Thank You.

    ReplyDelete